Carbal’s Strong Mothers, Strong Families is a community outreach program designed to promote the importance of the role that mothers and other female carers have in early childhood development.
The program offers ‘hands-on’ sessions where Carbal’s experienced health workers can teach practical ways that mums can engage and interact with baby from a young age, leading to postive long-term health and developmental outcomes.
Being a Strong, Supportive Role Model
is Important for Mother & Child
Some principles that our sessions focus on include:
- Teaching your kids the value of respect by taking the actions towards being a good role model;
- Your child will learn about male/female relationships by observing you, it is important she sees you showing care and respect for everyone in the family;
- Your child will watch you and often copy your actions. This is how they learn about male/female relationships, friendships and their role in the community and family.
Aims of the Program
Carbal’s Strong Mothers, Strong Families programs has the following aims:
- To improve Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander female‘s ability to contribute positively to the health and wellbeing of their children;
- To support the developmental needs of children by encouraging mothers and other carers to be healthy role models and engage fully in children‘s lives.
Strong Mothers, Strong Families delivers a program that is run over 6 weeks with a 3 hour session held week.
Session topics include:
- Call me Dad Presentation
- The Roles of Mothers
- Communicating with Children
- Children and Confidence
- Stress and Anger
- Relationships & Personal Development
Each session has a child and mother focus and sessions take place through a ‘yarnin circle‘, giving mothers the chance to ask questions and to have an input in the sessions.
Privacy & Confidentiality
All consultations are confidential and your health information will only ever be accessed by those directly involved with your care, including the monitoring of its quality.
Carbal Medical Services aligns its services in accordance with the National Privacy Principals and if you are required to access further medical services, you will be asked to sign a patient consent form at our clinic.
Benefits For Children
Who Have A Strong Maternal Relationship:
Better Results At School
They’ll show increased academic performance during their primary and senior school years
They’ll be better at developing personal relationships throughout their lifetime.
Improved Role in their Community
They’ll develop a stronger connection with, and be more likely to positively contribute within their community.
Get In Touch
Carbal Outreach Services
27 Mort Street
Newtown QLD 4350
Mon-Fri: 8:30AM – 4:30PM
Register Your Interest
Are you interested in being involved with the next round of Carbal’s Strong Mothers, Strong Families program?
We’d love to hear from you!
Please submit your details and a member of our team will be in touch to discuss further with you.